Computer requirements for WGU students.
Students should keep the following requirements in mind when selecting a computer to use during their program at WGU. Systems purchased within the past two years will typically come with the following recommended features. Students can check technical readiness of their computer system by using the WGU System Check tool to ensure they meet university requirements.
- 2 GHz processor or faster
- High-speed internet connection of 1.5 Mb/s or better
- 4 GB RAM or greater
- Built-in or external speakers
- USB 2.0 port or adaptor
Note: Online Proctored Assessments will require 3 Mb/s internet connection. Satellite internet users should review the Satellite Internet Connection article for more information.
Supported Operating System(s)
- Windows 7 or higher
- MacOS 10.11 or higher
Unsupported Operating System(s)
- Chrome OS
• Microsoft Office 2016 or 365*
• We recommend you have an up-to-date antivirus program
* Enrolled students can take advantage of a free offer for Microsoft 365. Students can refer to Microsoft Office 365 for WGU Students for more information.
- Google Chrome
- Mozilla Firefox
- Apple Safari
Multimedia Apps or Plugins
- Adobe Reader or PDF reader of choice
- Adobe Flash
- Adobe AIR
- Java 7 or higher
As a WGU student, you are required to use a number of third-party learning resources. System requirements for these resources vary widely by program and assessment and may differ greatly from those listed above. Information Technology students, in particular, may need to install specific applications that require a more powerful computer or a specific operating system. If you're concerned that your computer may not meet the minimum requirements for any third-party learning resource or specific application in your degree program, contact Student Services, Learning Resources or the IT Service Desk for more information.