Skip to content Skip to Live Chat


Transfer to WGU

Get Credit for Work You’ve Already Done—Transferring to WGU Can Be Easy

If you’ve taken courses or received a degree from a community college or another college or university, you're likely already well on your way to a WGU degree. You can almost always transfer credits when you send accredited bachelor's or associate degree transcripts to WGU for a college transfer evaluation. Learn more about our generous transfer credit policy by exploring this page.

Ready to Start Your Transfer?

The first step to earning transfer credits is to submit your previous college transcripts to WGU.
We'll review them and let you know how many transferrable credits you have.

Transfer from your Community College to WGU

WGU’s curriculum structure is competency-based, allowing you to apply your existing knowledge and skills to your education. Students transferring from a U.S. community college can expect a comprehensive transfer policy.

Students with an Associate of Arts (A.A.) or Associate of Science (A.S.) degree usually qualify for an Upper-Division standing at WGU. 

Depending on your degree program, you may qualify for additional requirement waivers. If you have completed some college coursework but have not earned a degree, WGU will conduct a transcript evaluation. Your experience may waive some of your requirements.

We Partner with Community Colleges

Across the nation, we've established transfer pathways to help incoming students understand how prior coursework and experience may transfer into a degree program at WGU. Get your transfer assessment started by speaking with Enrollment!

Transfer Students Can Earn up to $1,000 Towards WGU Education on RaiseMe

We partnered with RaiseMe to offer micro-scholarships that recognize your achievements as you prepare to transfer, earning you money for college before you even apply. Click the button to start earning today.

“The enrollment process was easy. An Enrollment Counselor that contacted me within two days, looked at my transcripts, got me into my program, said, 'Here is what you need to do, when do you want to start?' and within a week I had a start date.”

Raymond Baker
B.S. Accounting

How to Request College Transcripts from Previously Attended Institutions

A transcript is the permanent record of academic work undertaken at a college or university. At WGU we are committed to decreasing the barriers to starting school. That is why we are working with a large group of education institutions to request and gather transcripts for you, free of additional fees and time.

The process is simple—during the application you will:

1. Add in all the information about your previous education institutions.

2. The free transcript service will let you know if any of your institutions do not participate in their program. If an institution does not participate, you will need to request that transcript independently. Currently several thousand institutions do participate in the free transcript service, but there may be some that do not.

3. You will then be asked if you would like to use the free transcript service to gather transcripts from previous institutions.

4. You will check “yes” if you are interested in this service.

5. For participating institutions, your transcripts will be gathered and submitted to WGU with no additional work or cost on your end.

6. If you opt out or have a previous institution that does not participate in the free transcript service  you will need to arrange and pay to have your official transcripts sent to WGU. This can be done electronically or by mail. Plan ahead, because it can take a few weeks to process your request. Transcripts should be submitted by the first day of the month before your intended start date.

Transcripts that are not gathered through our free transcript service need to be sent directly to WGU, if they are opened by the student prior to being sent to us, they will be considered unofficial. The college transcript request that you submit is often managed by the Office of the University Registrar or Records Department of your institution. If you are not using the free transcript service, please submit ALL transcripts to the Transcripts Department at WGU after you have applied to WGU. Your previous institution should directly submit transcripts to WGU in one of the following ways:

  • You may be able to request college transcripts and submit them entirely electronically if your previous institution participates in electronic transcript exchange services. Electronic transcripts are sent securely in PDF format and offer the fastest processing time. Official electronic transcripts will need to be sent using this information: Western Governors University, Student Records 03339400
  • You may be able to only request college transcripts online from your previous college or university website, and have them submit it via mail. The official, physical transcript should be sent to the following address:

    Western Governors University
    Attn: Transcripts Department
    4001 South 700 East, Suite 300
    Salt Lake City, UT 84107-2533

  • Should electronic ordering not be an option, requesting college transcripts by mail is possible. Mail your transcript request to the Office of the Registrar of the university or college that you previously attended. You can use the Transcript Request Form that is provided in the link below.
  • A college transcript request can also be submitted in person at the college or university you attended previously. The copies will need to be sealed in order to be considered official college transcripts. Request your copy in person, but do not break the seal before submitting the paperwork by mail to WGU.

NOTE: You should complete and submit your WGU application BEFORE requesting/submitting your transcripts if you are not using our free transcript service, Click here for additional information on requesting and submitting specific types of transcripts.

FAQs About Transcripts and Transferring

Yes. Official transcripts (including evaluated international transcripts) and certifications are used to develop your personalized degree plan. WGU requires that official transcripts of previous academic work completed at other accredited institutions or through approved certification companies be submitted for evaluation. You can use our free transcript service to submit your transcripts or gather and submit them independently. Please contact your Enrollment Counselor for more information.

Yes. Students applying to a graduate degree program must send their official bachelor's degree transcripts verifying they received a bachelor's degree from an institutionally accredited institution. This can be sent via our free transcript service. Official transcripts should be received by the 5th of the month prior to the start of your program. Some graduate programs allow the transfer of individual courses and others do not, please speak to an Enrollment Counselor for the specifics of your desired program.

Your official transcripts are reviewed by a member of the Transfer Evaluation Department. The time it takes to review your transcripts and report which subject areas are cleared with transfer credit will vary. You and your Enrollment Counselor will be notified via email when your transfer evaluation has been completed and we endeavor to ensure an evaluation within two weeks of your final transcript having arrived.

Official transcripts should be received no later than the 5th of the month prior to your intended start date. If you utilize our free transcript service, we will work to get your transcripts gathered and submitted swiftly. This allows plenty of time for an evaluation to be completed and the development of your personalized degree plan to take place. WGU will not award transfer credit after a student has begun their program, so it is important to ensure that everything is submitted in a timely manner.

Unofficial transcripts cannot be accepted to award transfer credit, and WGU does not perform unofficial transfer evaluations. You can utilize the free transcript service to ensure you submit official transcripts to WGU. Please speak with your Enrollment Counselor if there are any concerns about sending official transcripts.

Yes. If you are applying for a bachelor's degree program and have completed college-level coursework at another accredited institution, we can review your transcripts to determine if some or all of the requirements for lower-division courses can be met through transfer credits. In some programs, approved professional certifications may clear additional requirements. For additional information on submitting official transcript, including evaluated international transcripts, or certifications, please speak with your Enrollment Counselor.

Many students transfer into a WGU degree program already having accumulated many credit hours or having earned an Associate degree.  Official transcripts are evaluated on a course-by-course basis according to the following general guidelines:

  • Depending on their selected program, students who hold an Associate of Arts (AA) or Associate of Science (AS) degree from an institutionally accredited institution of higher education may be able to clear some or all of the lower-division requirements.  Please speak with your Enrollment Counselor regarding the specifics for your selected program.
  • Some programs allow an Associate of Applied Science (AAS) degree to clear portions of lower-division requirements.  Please speak with your Enrollment Counselor regarding specifics for your selected program.
  • If you have completed college courses but have not earned a degree, you may be able to have some degree requirements met through a course-by-course transfer evaluation.
  • WGU accepts limited college transfer credits at the graduate (master’s) level in some degree programs. There are special requirements to receive graduate-level transfer credit that vary by program.  Please speak with your enrollment counselor for more information.

Because course content can vary between schools, all transfer credit is reviewed on a course-by-course basis. Transfer credit can be awarded if the course comparability aligns with WGU course offerings. 

Courses may not be accepted for transfer if the content is misaligned, there is not enough information to determine comparability, the course presented does not carry enough credit hours to be accepted, the grade presented falls below WGU’s acceptable threshold, or the course is deemed as non-transferable thus making it ineligible to receive transfer credit regardless of prior education.

Students should also be aware that not all courses accepted for transfer are guaranteed to transfer across programs offered through WGU.

Enrolling at WGU

An Official Transcript is the permanent record of academic work undertaken at an institution of higher education. Transcripts are generally maintained by the Office of the Registrar or Records Department of each school.

It is best practice to contact your previous college, university, high school, or document vendor to determine what options they have for transcript delivery along with any associated costs for sending the transcript to WGU.

The information below outlines the general instructions for many of the different types of documents that may provide transferable competency units to your program of interest.

If you are uncertain what documents are required for your program of interest, please contact your enrollment counselor.

Electronic Delivery

WGU has electronic exchange partnerships with industry recognized delivery services. These partners will share your transcript with WGU via a secure inbox so that we may download your credential. We advise that you begin by checking to see if your institution participates in electronic exchange with either the National Student Clearing House or Parchment Transcript Delivery. If they are available through either of these services, you can request them to be sent directly to WGU. The WGU Transcript Department located in Salt Lake City, Utah, please select Utah as the school’s state.

The delivery service may inquire about WGU’s school code or FAFSA code:

School code: 3949

FAFSA code: 033394

If your institution does not participate in electronic exchange, there is a possibility your institution can send the transcript officially via PDF email delivery. All Official Transcripts must be sent directly from your institution to If the transcripts are sent to any other addresses, we cannot consider those transcripts to be official.

Mail Delivery

There are some schools that only send transcripts via the United States Postal Service (USPS). Official transcripts must be mailed directly to WGU. If by chance the institution sends you the transcript in a sealed envelope, you may forward that transcript to directly to WGU within the original sealed envelope. Physical transcripts should be sent to the address below:

Western Governors University 
Attn: Transcripts Department 
4001 South 700 East, Suite 300 
Salt Lake City, UT 84107

Any transcript that comes from a student address and/or is not sealed will be considered unofficial and cannot be used to satisfy any course or admission requirements.

If you serve(d) in the Army, Navy, Marine Corps, or Coast Guard you will want to request your transcripts from the Joint Services Transcripts website.

If you serve(d) in the Air Force you will want to request your transcripts from the Community College of the Air Force website.

To request your CLEP, DANTES or ACE (AP) credits, please go to

If you have obtained credits through WGU Academy, please work with your WGU Academy Enrollment Counselor to get transcripts submitted for your guaranteed admission and transfer to WGU.

If you have obtained credit through a third-party options such as Sophia,, or Straighterline,  please use their specific websites to request a transcript to be sent directly to WGU or

Some credit by exam score reports can be obtained through

For students who have completed academic coursework outside the United States please reference our International Evaluation Policy to request the evaluation of those credentials.

All certifications should be sent to directly to WGU at We accept certifications from CompTIA, Microsoft, CISCO, Credly, and many other vendors. We encourage you to contact the certification vendor directly to determine their method of delivery for official certifications.

Note: Many IT certifications must have been completed within the last 5 years to meet transfer eligibility requirements. Please speak to your Enrollment Counselor to determine if your particular certification will meet the admission requirements for certain IT programs, as not all transferable certifications will meet the program eligibility requirements.

If you are sending in certification scores post-enrollment to use for WGU course credit, those official PDF score reports or links should be sent to

High School Transcripts

High school institutions have many methods to send transcripts. It is best practice to contact your high school to find out their selected method of delivery. We have found that many high schools have a relationship with electronic delivery services such as DiplomaSenderScribbles, and NeedMyTranscript.

If your institution does not participate in electronic exchange with one of the companies above, there is a possibility your institution can send the transcript officially via PDF email delivery. You should request that the official copy be sent directly from your institution to:

You may also have your high school transcripts delivered via physical mail. Official transcripts should be mailed directly to WGU. In the chance that the institution gives you the transcript in a sealed envelope, you may forward that transcript to WGU with the envelope still sealed. Physical transcripts should be sent to the address below:

Western Governors University 
Attn: Transcripts Department 
4001 South 700 East, Suite 300 
Salt Lake City, UT 84107

Note: Any transcript that comes from a student address and/or is not sealed will be deemed unofficial.

General Educational Diploma (GED)

Each state has its own process to retrieve GED transcripts. You can find additional information regarding this in our Student Handbook. You can also contact an Enrollment Counselor for further assistance at 866-225-5948.  

The delivery service may inquire about WGU’s school code or FAFSA code: 

School code: 3949 

FAFSA code: 033394

High School Equivalency (HSE)

All High School Equivalency transcripts must be requested through the Department of Education website of the state/territory the exam was taken. This will be different for each state/territory.

If the state/territory delivers the HSE transcript electronically, please have them send it directly to WGU at

Any electronic transcript that is not sent directly from the Department of Education’s inbox or email address will be deemed unofficial.

If the state/territory delivers the HSE transcript physically, please have them send it directly to the following address:

Western Governors University 
Attn: Transcripts Department 
4001 South 700 East, Suite 300 
Salt Lake City, UT 84107

Any transcript that is not sealed in the original envelope will be deemed unofficial.

In many instances an official transfer evaluation is needed before an admission decision is made. All expected credentials listed on your student record must be accounted for prior to your transfer evaluation being completed. Please have all documents requested as soon as possible to meet the transcript deadline.

To allow sufficient time for your transfer evaluation, you must submit all transcripts/certifications by the 5th of the month prior to your anticipated start date.

If you have questions regarding your transfer evaluation, first contact your enrollment counselor, as they are very knowledgeable and can often explain why you might not have received transfer credit in a particular area.

  • We require official transcripts from each individual issuing institution and will not accept transfer credit awarded and/or listed on another institution credential.
  • Transfer credit will be accepted or awarded once a student begins studies at WGU.

If you still feel credit was not correctly awarded, you may officially appeal your evaluation of transfer credit.

  1. To initiate an appeal, contact your Enrollment Counselor and they will guide you through the appeal process.
  2. Submit your completed appeal form, along with any supporting documentation, to the Transcript Evaluation office within fifteen (15) business-days of your receipt of transcript evaluation results from the Transcript Evaluation office.
  3. You will be notified in writing of the outcome of your appeal within five business-days of the submission of your completed appeal.

General Transfer Requirements for Courses Accepted for Transfer

  • Must be college-level from, and the courses must be completed at, a school that is recognized by an Institutional according to the United States Department of Education.
  • Must have been awarded a grade of C- or better. Note: Some programs have alternate minimum grade requirements. Please refer to the official transfer guidelines for your program.
  • May not be used to fulfill more than one course of study.
  • Must meet the competency unit (semester credit) and content requirements.
  • May not be used to fulfill requirements listed as Non-Transferable. 

Your Enrollment Counselor will go over the program requirements with you and give you a general idea of which credits might transfer from your previous institution; however, the Transcript Evaluation department performs the official transfer credit evaluation.

A typical Official Transfer Evaluation occurs in the month prior to your intended start date, provided certain admission requirements have been met, and only after all of the credentials on your application have been received or been resolved through alternate means. These evaluations are performed in the order they are received by the Transfer Evaluation department on a first in ,first out basis. During peak enrollment periods, just prior to the start of the term, the transfer evaluation process may take longer, so submit your official transcripts early to ensure prompt evaluation.

As soon as your evaluation is completed, the results of your evaluation will be emailed to both you and your enrollment counselor for review. If you have questions about your transfer credit evaluation once you receive it, please contact your enrollment counselor. 

Prepared for Success on the Job

*From a 2023 Harris Poll of 300 employers of WGU graduates.

100% of employers said that WGU graduates were prepared for their jobs.*

97% of employers said that they would hire another WGU grad.*

98% of employers said WGU graduates met or exceeded expectations.*

Transfer Made Easy

Learn more about transferring your existing credits by viewing on-demand videos. 

Take the First Step: Apply Now!

No need to wait for spring or fall semester. It's back-to-school time all year at WGU. You could be on your way to a degree—sooner than you think!

Next Start Date