Learn About the Resources WGU Offers to Help Students Thrive
At WGU, our goal is your success. So we provide a variety of resources geared to helping students achieve their potential and be successful in their degree program. From help in your classes to professional development, we are focused on ensuring you have everything you need to progress in your career and in your life.
Not a Current Student?
Apply today to take advantage of the resources WGU offers students to help them be successful.
Social Emotional Learning
Social and Emotional Learning (SEL) is a lifelong process through which we all develop adaptive Power Skills that contribute to academic, and career success and overall wellbeing.
The foundational building block for effective social and emotional learning, positive psychology, personal growth, and professional development. It is the conscious and clear perception and understanding of our own personality, feelings, thoughts, emotions, beliefs, strengths, weaknesses, character, desires, and motivation. The more we are self-aware, the better we can understand other people's perceptions, attitudes, and mindsets.
Self-management is the ability to accept responsibility, be accountable for, and effectively manage our thoughts, behaviors, and emotions. Self-management skills are critical for getting things done and taking control of our life. They utilize strategies and mindsets that help us become organized, efficient, and most effective in our endeavors. Self-management is the roadmap for our personal and professional success. Interpersonal communication to build strong personal and professional relationships.
The higher-order mental processes that enable us to manage complex tasks, such as organizing and planning, remembering information, problem-solving, regulating emotions, and controlling cognitive flexibility. Executive function skills are essential to our ability to think critically, adapt to change and persist. Developing our executive function skills contributes to our ability to make responsible decisions and achieve our goals.
Essential for adapting to diverse workplace environments and communities. These skills allow us to engage, react, and respond in a variety of social situations by understanding the complex needs of others. Socially aware individuals can appropriately modify their behavior and apply effective interpersonal communications strategies to achieve the most optimal outcomes in a variety of social contexts.
How to use SEL at WGU: We have created detailed articles that are written with the student experience in mind. We also offer several quick tools to help you balance your school, work, and family life.
WGU Career & Professional Development
We have numerous resources available to current students and alumni to help you get the job you want! From cover letter writing, resume building and creating a portfolio, we can help you set up a solid foundation for your job search.
You have submitted your cover letter and resume and now it’s time to nail the interview! The Career Center has resources for employer research, interview preparation and salary negotiation. Come take a look at our resources and see how we can help you secure your dream job.
Talk through your career plan strategy with one of our career advisors. We have advisors for each college who will help steer you in the right direction.
Professional Development Resources
Whether you are currently employed in the position you desire or are searching for a new position, it never hurts to keep yourself informed, educated, and up to date in your professional realm. Taking time to engage in professional development opportunities not only keeps you cutting-edge within your field, it also allows you to network with other professionals and develop your professional brand - all of which can advance your career! We offer services from these providers:
- WGU Students have access to this resource where they can find jobs, internships, connect with employers, peers, and alumni to get career information.
- This website provides professional modules and information students can implement in their everyday business practices and procedures.
- WGU partners with MindEdge to provide free online business training for alumni! Alumni can use the discount code wgualumni at check-out to get access to the courses for free.
- WGU offers students and alumni free access to LinkedIn Learning. Courses in Business, Technology, and Creative Skills taught by industry experts.
- Night Owl Network
- Introducing the Night Owl Network, an exclusive professional community of WGU Night Owls from around the world! Connect with other Night Owls near and far with a variety of industry backgrounds. Give back by sharing industry insights, starting a mentorship, or giving career advice. Discover and join professional interest groups, make life-long connections, and find resources to help keep your career goals on target.
Designed to connect you with faculty and other students, online conversations within WGU's communities can help you succeed in your program and well into your career.