This time of year can be tough for a student—especially a busy, working student who spends so much of the day cooped up at work and just wants to get outside and play. So when the work day ends, how do you fight the urge to skip the schoolwork? Here are six tips that might help. Let us know in the comments if you have other ideas.
- Perform a little "spring cleaning" in your workspace. Clear your desk, dispose of old material, and reduce your digital clutter.
- Plan ahead and create a to-do list with mile markers before you sit down to study. Once you reach a goal, reward yourself.
- Study in the shade outside. Being relaxed helps clear the mind and absorb information, so sit under a tree or on the patio while studying and enjoy the warm weather.
- Keep healthy snacks on hand that will fuel your brain and improve your ability to maintain mental alertness, stay focused, and retain information. Apples, nuts, whole grains, berries, or dark chocolate are a few ideas.
- Exercise before you study. Go for a bike ride or do some jump rope outside before you hit the books. Your head will be clearer and your spirit will be brighter as a result.
- When your motivation is lagging, take a moment to look at the big picture. Remember what you are working toward and how far you've come.