WGU Financial Support Fund
WGU understands that some students may experience unusual financial hardship during their degree programs. To help financially struggling students achieve their graduation goals, WGU has established a scholarship fund for students who encounter hardships that are out of their control. Each scholarship will be a one-time award towards the cost of WGU tuition and fees to help a student continue with his or her studies instead of taking a term break or withdrawing. Award amounts will be decided upon to assist with the cost of tuition, but will not cover an entire term’s tuition and fees.
Each scholarship value will be decided based on the circumstances and needs of the student being awarded. Funds are limited and not every student applying will be awarded; awardees will be selected based on their degree of need and their academic records.
Who the Scholarship is for
This scholarship is for current WGU students who have previously demonstrated success at WGU and who have encountered economic hardship that is beyond their control. Students applying for these scholarships funds should already be accessing any available financial aid funds.
To be eligible for this scholarship, students must:
- Be enrolled at WGU and have completed at least two terms in good standing.
- Have maintained Satisfactory Academic Progress and demonstrate the ability to be a successful WGU student.
- If not done so previously, complete the financial aid application process. You may also be required to complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).
- Obtain a Mentor Statement of Support. (Your mentor can complete this form.)
- Interview with a WGU Scholarship Counselor prior to award decision.
Note: The scholarship funds will only be credited to your account for use toward the cost of tuition and fees.
Before monies are distributed, the scholarship recipients must read the WGU Student Handbook and agree to and understand the academic progress, tuition, and refund policies. The student will also be required to agree to the WGU Scholarship Terms and Conditions before monies will be awarded. The student must also meet the university’s Satisfactory Academic Progress requirements to maintain scholarship eligibility. Each student can only be awarded one scholarship that is funded or administered through WGU during their degree program.