OWL is a transfer program between Western Governors University and several community colleges across the country. This partnership provides seamless academic pathways for students to complete their associate degree and guarantees admission into specific majors at WGU to promote timely bachelor's degree graduation.
OWL focuses on early engagement and preparation to ensure students are ready to succeed at WGU when they enroll. By opting to participate in the OWL program, you will receive regular communication from WGU that will support you in your pursuit of an associate degree with encouraging information on time management, study skills, career opportunities, and advising for course selection.
Who Is the OWL Program For?
The OWL program is for current community college students who have at least 2 semesters remaining in community college. See a list of community colleges that participate.
What Is Included in the OWL Program?
The program will provide three free transfer preparation courses that nurture you through your associate degree, provide transfer benefits to WGU, and allow you to experience what a day in the life of a WGU student looks like. To learn more about the specifics of the OWL program, see the checklist and FAQ information below or watch this informational video.
Guaranteed Admission to a WGU Bachelor's Degree Program
If you’re pursuing an associate degree, WGU could be the perfect next step for you in your educational journey. The WGU OWL program offers guaranteed admission to WGU when you transfer a qualifying associate degree into one of the following WGU programs:
How It Works:
WGU’s OWL program will guide community college students to courses and an associate degree that can transfer seamlessly to WGU. This means that students in the OWL program will have just 60 credits remaining to complete their bachelor’s degree when they transfer. With WGU’s competency-based education, this means you could earn your bachelor’s degree in 18 months or less, depending on your pace of mastering course material. Students are guaranteed admission by participating in and meeting OWL program requirements.
Students who complete the OWL program and choose to transfer to WGU MUST meet the following requirements to ensure guaranteed admission and guaranteed scholarships:
- Intend to transfer to a four-year institution after completing your associate degree.
- Completion of all three transfer success courses.
- Successful completion of an AA, AS, or AAS degree from one of our OWL transfer institutions.
- Cumulative GPA of 2.0.
- Have been a part of the OWL transfer program for a minimum of 2 semesters.
- Meet regularly with your community college advisor and WGU transfer advisor.
Sign Up to Get More Information about the OWL Transfer Program
This form will help you receive information and enroll you in the OWL Transfer Program. It will not enroll you in WGU at this time—when you graduate from your community college your WGU transfer advisor will help you in the WGU enrollment process.
Austin Community College (TX)
City College of Chicago – Harold Washington College (IL)
City College of Chicago – Olive-Harvey College (IL)
City College of Chicago – Harry S Truman College (IL)
City College of Chicago – Richard J Daley College (IL)
City College of Chicago – Kennedy-King College (IL)
City College of Chicago – Wilbur Wright College (IL)
City College of Chicago – Malcolm X College (IL)
Ivy Tech Community College (IN)
Lone Star College System (TX)
Lower Columbia College (WA)
Palm Beach State College (FL)
Rio Salado College (AZ)
Salt Lake Community College (UT)
Tarrant County College (TX)
If your community college is not on this transfer list, you still have options to transfer courses or a degree to WGU. Learn more about transfer options.
How WGU Makes Transfers Easier for Students
Balancing work, school, and family life is challenging enough. One of the ways WGU helps ease the stress and soften the burden of pursuing a bachelor’s degree is by simplifying the process for students transferring from another institution to WGU. We understand that transferring can be complicated, but rest assured that WGU is here for you and ready to make your transfer as easy as possible so you can more quickly move onto pursuing your degree. WGU makes transferring easier by:
- Ensuring your associate degree will transfer toward a bachelor's degree program at WGU
- Helping you get needed prerequisites for a new program at WGU
- Providing strong articulation pathways to maximize community college credit transfer
- Streamlining the online registration and enrollment process
- Announcing monthly enrollment dates
- Offering a flexible online schedule with all courses offered every term
- Offering competency-based education which allows for students to accelerate through their programs
- Offering affordable flat-rate tuition that allows for acceleration at no additional cost
- Why should I choose WGU’s OWL program?
- Am I eligible for the OWL program?
- Which WGU degrees can I earn through the OWL program?
- What are the admissions requirements for OWL?
- What are the benefits of enrolling in the WGU OWL program?
By enrolling in OWL, students will have a seamless transition to WGU. Degree pathways were designed to ensure that courses completed for their associate degree will apply towards a WGU bachelor's degree. The OWL program gives students a direct, efficient pathway from community college to WGU.
If you are enrolled, or plan to enroll, at one of our OWL partner community colleges and plan to earn your bachelor’s degree in one of 19 degree programs, you are eligible to participate in the OWL program.
The following degrees are currently available in the OWL transfer program:
- B.S. Business Administration, Management
- B.S. Business Administration, Healthcare Management
- B.S. Business Administration, Human Resources
- B.S. Business Administration, Information Technology
- B.S. Business Administration, Marketing
- B.S. Business Administration, Accounting
- B.S. Cybersecurity & Information Assurance
- B.S. Information Technology
- B.S. Data Management/Data Analytics
- B.S. Software Development
- B.S. Cloud Computing
- B.S. Computer Science
- B.S. Network Operations and Security
- B.A. Elementary Education
- B.A. Special Education, Elementary Education
- B.A. Special Education, Mild to Moderate
- B.S. Nursing (RN-to-BSN)
- B.S. Health Information Management
- B.S. Health Services Coordination
- Graduate with an associate degree in two or three years from your community college.
- Achieve a minimum of 2.0 cumulative GPA or higher.
- Meet all requirements of the degree pathway.
- Complete all WGU application requirements.
- Advising from both the community college and WGU.
- OWL transition courses to ensure an easy transfer process.
- Guaranteed enrollment into select bachelor’s degree programs, if criteria are met.
- Guaranteed scholarship awards, if criteria are met.
- Ability to meet first two-year credit requirements.
- Connect with your transfer institution and other students in the OWL program through social media.
- Opportunity to receive regular engagement that will nurture you through your educational experience.
- Opportunity to participate in self enhancement webinars from WGU.