Benefit from What You Know

WGU’s competency-based approach to education lets you take advantage of your knowledge and skills, regardless of how you acquired them. If you’ve taken courses or received a degree from another college or university, you’re probably wondering what will transfer into a WGU program.

General College Transfer Guidelines

  • For undergraduate programs, a personal evaluation of your transcripts from previously attended institutions will be needed to determine whether you will be able to clear any degree requirements. See below for more specific guidelines.
  • WGU does not accept college transfer credits at the graduate (master’s) level. Transcripts are still required for proof of completion of a bachelor’s degree.
  • WGU will not complete unofficial transcript evaluations. Speak to an Enrollment Counselor to get a generalized idea of what you might be able to transfer, but you will be required to submit official copies of your transcripts for an official evaluation.
  • To have an official transcript evaluation completed for you, you will need to complete the online application form and pay the application fee.

Have You Taken Some Courses or Completed Your Degree?

  • If you hold an Associate of Arts (AA), Associate of Science (AS), or Associate of Applied Science (AAS) from an institution that is recognized as nationally or regionally accredited by the U.S. Department of Education, you should clear most of the lower-division general education requirements for a bachelor’s degree in business or information technology. For the Health Professions and Teachers College programs, a course-by-course evaluation is typically required for college credit transfer. See a list of USDE-recognized national and regional accrediting agencies.
  • If you’ve earned an A.A.S. (or other applied associate degree), you may be able to clear a significant portion of WGU’s lower-division degree requirements.
  • If you have completed college courses but not earned a degree of any type, you may also be able to clear some degree requirements through a course-by-course transcript evaluation.

Learn more about earning transfer credit

Transferring from a Community College

WGU maintains great relations with community colleges throughout the United States.

Click here if you are planning to transfer in from a community college

Sending in Transcripts

Official transcripts should be mailed directly from transferring colleges to our Transcripts Department. Your copy of your transcript is not considered official unless it is sealed. Please order official transcripts promptly, as they can take a few weeks to arrive. Your transcripts should be received by the first of the month prior to your intended start date.

ATTN: Transcripts Department
Western Governors University
4001 South 700 East, Suite 700
Salt Lake City, UT 84107

For Current WGU Students and Alumni

Transferring from WGU

WGU students who may be interested in transferring to another institution, either before or after completing their studies at WGU, should keep in mind the following points:

  • All institutions reserve the right to determine their own transfer policies, and not all academic work completed at one institution may transfer to another.
  • Students should check the transfer policies at the institution or institutions they are considering by consulting with the admissions or registrar office at those institution(s).
  • Students who transfer should request that the WGU registrar send an official transcript of their WGU transfer credits and academic work to the institution(s) where they are applying for admission.
  • The WGU transcript will note subject areas (domains) that were successfully completed. WGU transfer credits and equivalencies for the completed domains will be listed.

Requesting Official WGU Transcripts

An official WGU transcript may be ordered in the following ways:

  • Online: Students can access the link to the Parchment WGU storefront by going to the WGU portal and clicking on the “Request a Transcript” link, which will direct you to the Parchment WGU Storefront. If you do not have access to your WGU Portal, please visit the WGU Parchment Storefront by clicking here. Online delivery options include electronic transcript fulfillment, same-day express service, or mail within five business days.
  • By Mail: Students may send a handwritten or typed request to the Student Records Office:
    • The handwritten or typed request must include your name and other names used, the last year attended or graduated, Social Security number, current mailing address, email, and phone number (so we can contact you if there are any problems in processing the request).
    • The request must be signed and include the name and address of the recipient if the transcript is to be mailed to someone other than you.
    • Make checks or money orders payable to Western Governors University in the amount of $5 for a processing fee.

You may mail transcript requests with payment to:

Western Governors University
ATTN: Records Department
4001 South 700 East, Suite 700
Salt Lake City, UT 84107

Note: Official transcripts will not be released to anyone whose financial obligations have not been met. Requests received by mail are processed at our lowest priority in the order they are received. Questions regarding transcripts should be directed to

How to request your official transcripts

Request Info Apply Now

Questions and Answers

Select a question from the left, see the answer to the right.

Does WGU require transcripts of prior college work?

Yes. Transcripts are used by your mentor to help develop your personalized Degree Plan. WGU requires that official transcripts of previous academic work completed at other colleges or graduate schools be submitted for evaluation.

Do graduate students need to submit transcripts?

Yes. Students applying to a graduate degree program must submit an official transcript verifying receipt of a bachelor’s degree from a regionally or DETC-accredited institution. The Records and Admissions Departments should receive the official transcripts by the 1st of the month prior to the start of your program. Graduate-level program requirements are never cleared through transfer because of prior graduate school study. However, your competencies obtained through prior study will help you accelerate your progress toward your degree.

Who reviews my transcripts? How long does it take?

Your official transcripts will be evaluated by a member of the Transcripts Department. The time it takes to review your transcripts and report which subject areas (domains) are cleared will vary. We will inform you via email when your transcripts arrive, and we endeavor to report transfer decisions through your Enrollment Counselor within two weeks of that date.

What is the deadline for transcript submission?

Because your mentor will use your transcripts to help develop your personalized Degree Plan, it is important we receive official transcripts directly from all the colleges and universities you have previously attended no later than the 1st of the month prior to your intended start date. WGU will not award transfer credit based upon the work identified by transcripts received after your start date.

Can I submit unofficial copies of transcripts?

If you have questions about your transcripts prior to submission of your official transcripts, you may contact your Enrollment Counselor to discuss the Transfer Evaluation Guidelines for your intended degree program.

Schema Markup for WGU Logo

You’re using an unsupported version of your browser..

You’ll still have full access to the site, but some functionality may be lost. For the best experience, upgrade your browser by following the links below.