Most scholarships are for new students and returning graduates (unless otherwise noted). Eligible students must complete the scholarship application 90 days before and up to 30 days after the program start date. Current students may apply for funding they are eligible for at any time after their first term is completed. WGU employees and family members who are eligible for the WGU employee discount are not eligible for WGU scholarships.
In partnership with the Nevada Legislature and the Nevada Department of Education, WGU Nevada received funding as part of the Teach Nevada Scholarship Program—a statewide initiative that provides scholarships to new students pursuing initial teacher licensure through state-approved universities and colleges. WGU Nevada will award scholarships to new students who intend to obtain a bachelor's degree and license to teach in Nevada. This covers nearly all your tuition for up to three years in WGU's teacher certification programs!
Because this scholarship is designed to reward students who complete their program as well as remain in good standing with their employer over the course of several years, a portion of the scholarship funds will be retained and awarded later upon successful completion of the outlined terms. Students receive 75% of the award ($2,250) during each term of attendance and the remaining 25% ($750) will be deposited into a trust account established for the student. The 25% (accrued over the course of one's program) will remain in the trust account until the student completes the undergraduate program, has maintained employment at a Nevada public school for five consecutive years, and meets any other requirements established by the State Board. If the student decides not to initially go into a Special Education or English as a Second Language program, they must agree to pursue an endorsement for Special Education or English as a Second Language post-graduation.
This scholarship is valued up to:
This scholarship will be credited to your account at the rate of $3,000 per six-month term, renewable for up to six terms. Students receive 75% of the award ($2,250) during each term of attendance and the remaining 25% ($750) will be deposited into a trust account established for the student.
Interested in this scholarship? The first step is to apply for admission.
Before you can apply for this scholarship, you must first apply for admission.
Already applied for admission? Apply for scholarships on the Scholarship Portal.
Additional Scholarship Opportunities:
This scholarship is one of many. Through the generosity of donors and institutional funding, WGU maintains a robust program of scholarships made available to qualified students.
- Elementary Education – B.A.
- Special Education and Elementary Education (Dual Licensure) – B.A.
- Mathematics Education (Middle Grades) – B.S.
- Mathematics Education (Secondary) – B.S.
- Science Education (Middle Grades) – B.S.
- Science Education (Secondary Biological Science) – B.S.
- Science Education (Secondary Chemistry) – B.S.
- Science Education (Secondary Physics) – B.S.
- Science Education (Secondary Earth Science) – B.S.
- Special Education (Mild to Moderate) – B.A.
Before monies are distributed, the scholarship recipients must read the WGU Student Handbook and agree to and understand the academic progress, tuition, and refund policies. The student will also be required to agree to the WGU Scholarship Terms and Conditions before monies will be awarded. The student must also meet the university’s On Time Progress requirements to maintain scholarship eligibility. Each student can only be awarded one scholarship that is funded or administered through WGU during their degree program. Recipients must be U.S. citizens or eligible noncitizens.
This scholarship can be used in addition to any tuition discounts for which you may be eligible. Students will need to agree to special terms and conditions related to the Teach Nevada prior to disbursement.
Get Started in Two Simple Steps
Step 1: Apply for Admission
To be considered for WGU scholarships, you must be provisionally accepted as a WGU student. Please complete the admissions application and work with your Enrollment Counselor to move through the admissions process.
NOTE: Returning WGU graduates should complete the Returning Graduate Application.
Step 2: Apply for Scholarships
To access the scholarship application, you will need your MyWGU student portal credentials, which will be sent to you after Step 1. You are eligible to apply for scholarships 90 days before and up to 30 days after your degree start date.
NOTE: Completing a current aid year FAFSA is required if eligible to submit the FAFSA. If you are ineligible to apply for federal aid via the FAFSA, you will still have opportunity to be considered for WGU scholarships.
Other Featured Scholarships
Common Questions About Scholarships
An eligible student can receive one WGU scholarship award per degree. In the event that a student qualifies for multiple WGU scholarships, the scholarship committee will consider each opportunity and will then select which one to award (if any).
It depends on the specific criteria for the scholarship fund. In general, we award scholarships based on the following factors:
- Meeting the basic eligibility requirements
- The quality of your scholarship application responses
- Financial need is also a strong consideration for most of our scholarship funds
Some scholarships are also based upon evaluations of prior college transcripts and other academic history. We encourage you to apply.
WGU evaluates scholarship applications on a continual basis because we start new students in their programs every month. Often we are able to make an award decision within 8–10 weeks of receiving your application. You will also need to have applied for admission and been accepted to the university. An Enrollment Counselor can help explain the process.
No. New and returning student scholarship awards are divided into a set amount per term. This amount is credited against your tuition due for each term. The details are explained in the description for each scholarship.
Yes, you should also apply for federal financial aid by filling out a FAFSA. Most scholarships at WGU require a FAFSA on file unless you are not eligible to apply for federal aid. If awarded a scholarship, that amount will likely only cover a portion of your school expenses, and financial aid can help pay for the rest. You can apply for financial aid while you are waiting for a decision about your scholarship application. Here is the full information on financial aid.
Still have questions? More info can be found here:
Thank You to Our Donors
Scholarship opportunities are made possible in part by the generous support of many companies, foundations, partner organizations, and individuals, including WGU alumni, faculty, and staff. Learn how donors can make a difference at WGU.
When you complete the FAFSA, be sure to list WGU’s school code.
Financial Aid Is Also Available
You may choose to pay for the remaining portion of your degree through federal financial aid (subject to your eligibility). Pell Grants, which do not have to be repaid, are granted based on financial need. Federal Direct Student Loans are available to most students. Subsidized loans, which are dependent on financial need, reduce the interest due on loans.