Learning at WGU: different by design, driven by your needs.
WGU pioneered competency-based education. We remain the only institution offering competency-based degrees at scale, creating a model other colleges and universities are increasingly striving to replicate.
What is competency-based education? Simply put, it measures learning rather than time. Students progress through courses as soon as they can prove they’ve mastered the material, rather than advancing only when the semester or term ends. If a student can learn faster, spend more time on schoolwork, or lean on knowledge they already have from previous work or school experience, they can accelerate. With 24/7 access to online learning resources to engage with on their schedule, students embark on a learning journey tailored exactly to where their knowledge currently is—and where it needs to be. In addition, faculty members are on hand to provide personalized, one-on-one learning support when it’s needed.
It doesn't matter what challenges you face, CBE at WGU puts you in the driver's seat of your education.
- Efficient: We don’t waste your time. You focus on learning the material that's new to you, brush up on familiar topics where you need a refresher, and breeze through subjects you know well.
- Flexible: Study whenever and wherever works best for you. WGU learning resources are available anywhere wifi is.
- Individualized: Every student is different. At WGU, we believe the learning experience should be built around you, not us.
- Supportive: You're in the driver's seat, but you have a whole team of navigators along for the ride—faculty, staff, even fellow students.
It's surprisingly affordable.
Low, flat-rate tuition and the opportunity to speed up your program allow you to control the cost of your degree.
- Low tuition: Our commitment to helping you graduate with less debt starts with low tuition—about half what you’d expect to pay at most other online schools.
- Flat rate: Unlike at universities where you pay per credit, WGU’s flat-rate tuition links time and cost. This is where CBE can be a real money-saver: Speeding up your program means saving you money.
The results are absolutely worth it.
WGU is about real-world results—providing you an impressive return on your investment.
- Competencies: The hallmark of CBE are the competencies, the clearly defined skills and knowledge that you will master. Our competency-based approach is widely recognized by employers because it’s an approach used by most corporations as the basis for promotions and advancement.
- Proof: A degree from WGU tells employers that you are a proven expert—and an invaluable addition to their team. After all, you earned your degree by proving you've mastered the competencies they are looking for in an employee.
Graduate in teaching.
"Half of what I learned from my master’s at WGU is a model for my classroom: tailoring curriculum for each student, checking in with them while giving them freedom, reducing structure, and giving room for kids to learn how they learn best.”
Graduate in IT.
"The WGU model allowed me to thrive. I needed a competency-based program that allowed me to use my experience. I needed flexibility to allow me to be a mom, a wife, a daughter, a friend, a Girl Scout leader. I needed affordability because I had a family and could not add another bill.”
Graduate in business.
"There are a few things that WGU offers that other programs don't, and one is the competency-based format: the mastery, to make sure that you learn the skills before you move on to something else. Traditional schools don't offer that. You simply go to class and you get what they're working on that week and if you don't get it, too bad, we're all moving on. Many key concepts are lost with that."
WGU faculty members have one goal in mind: your success. Guidance and instruction are always just a call, email, or cohort away.About our faculty
Personalized learning plan.
Your journey toward subject mastery is made up of a series of courses, with flexibility built in. Preassessments help you determine your level of competency. As you move into coursework, you can focus effort where you need it, using online resources available 24/7.Read More
Prove your understanding.
WGU measures learning, not time, so each course culminates in an assessment—a test, paper, project, or presentation that allows you to prove what you know. You control when you take assessments—as soon as you’re ready, any time of day!Read More
Health and nursing programs have field experience. Teaching programs have demonstration teaching. All other programs have a real-world capstone project. Each experience will test your abilities and build your confidence.Awards and Examples
Forever a Night Owl.
Continued support after you graduate includes many opportunities for professional development and enrichment, career support, and networking. WGU Night Owls may be independent learners, but they also become highly engaged in our active alumni community through apps, groups, and events.Visit our alumni website